Saturday, December 19, 2009

December walks


I wanted to show you a glimpse of our daily December walk. I love that Dog can be off his leash and bounding happily through the snow, sniffing tracks, looking for puddles to drink from (frozen, this week), and always waiting for me before he gets completely out of sight.

I also love, love, love that once we broke a trail through the fresh snow (Dog and I) the deer started to use the same path. Now that it's frigid and icy, the only tracks through the woods are those on the path of Dog, deer and me.

And by the way, these long, long shadows of late day sun, are at 1:30 in the afternoon!!!
I'd like to share with you one of my favorite poems, by Elizabeth Coatsworth: "Early Dark"

Night's all right
With stars and a moon,
But night's all wrong
In the afternoon!
It drops from the trees
And it creeps on the floor,
And they call me in
By half past four!

1 comment: